Ripple

Ripple
@Matt Brillhart -- I'm just normal guy trying to leave a ripple in this sea of life.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dents Make Impact Too

For some reason, I've been thinking a lot about people who have impacted me, yet I only met them once or only knew them for a brief time. There are also those individuals who have impacted me that I never personally met! It amazes me how certain people come into our lives at certain times for certain reasons.

While in college, I worked in the campus art gallery. I was known as the "gallery boy." I helped in getting art exhibits set-up/torn-down, framing artwork, and mailings. Basically, I sat in a chair in the corner watching over the artwork. Sounds boring, right? Actually, it was one of the more stimulating jobs I've ever had. Well, the people I interacted with were very stimulating. Keep in mind that grunge was coming in vogue. Birks and Doc Martin's were the new footwear. Music was changing too. Nirvana ended the Hair Metal/Heavy Metal era. Alternative music was "THE" new music. Judas Priest was replaced with Pearl Jam.

It was the first neo-hippie era since the 60's. Patchouli reigned over Polo. Still, being "alternative" was very alternative. Rainbow (yes, her real name was Rainbow) was uber-alternative. She somehow got transplanted from the "summer of love" to Emporia, KS. I can't remember if I joked about her being conceived at Woodstock or she truly was conceived at Woodstock. She was an incredible joy to be around. She didn't care what ANYONE thought about her--she truly didn't. She created her own world of happiness and surrounded herself with friends who truly loved her. Her circle was small, but impenetrable. She exposed me to new music, new foods, new interests. Unfortunately, she transferred to KU. To this day I still relive some of our conversations. She continues to teach me to be myself, believe in myself, and love myself.

This past summer, one our friends got married. At the wedding, I sat next to someone I went to college with that I had not seen in many years. We were in different fraternities, but knew each other fairly well from campus and seeing each other at the bars. We chatted family. At the time, I had NO IDEA that one of his sons was fighting for his life. His son, Noah, had a serious heart condition. Noah was three. Through his father's blogs and Facebook updates, Noah became a part of many families including our family. "Noah's Army" grew to a mighty force. Noah was a brave young little man. I never met Noah, but he helped me better appreciate life and my family. He also helped me realize I need to be more brave.

Noah's mom and dad showed so much strength and were/are incredibly brave. They had three other children to care and love. They showed me that love is boundless and so important. Appreciate your time with your kids regardless on the quantity of time. Make the time you have quality! Josh, Noah's dad, ended his blogs about Noah with "Hug 'em tight" and "Squeeze 'em tight!" Very valuable statements, very valuable.

Think back into your life and review those people in your life that stepped in and then quickly stepped out, yet still have an impact on you. Their "hit and run" left a little dent in your life. Their impact is still creating a ripple...

1 comment:

  1. Matt,
    Very moving post! None of us is ever promised tomorrow, today is all we may ever have...that's why we called it "The Present"...untie the ribbons and enJOY!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete