Ripple

Ripple
@Matt Brillhart -- I'm just normal guy trying to leave a ripple in this sea of life.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fatherhood

Wow, nine years ago today I became a father. Where has the time gone? It's truly hard to believe nine years have passed so quickly?!

The other night I found an old file folder on my computer that had pics of Hadley when she was just a baby. The emotions that rushed through me were incredible. Some of the moments I remembered and others I didn't remember so well. Reviewing the pics got me to thinking that I hope she is having a good childhood. I hope I am providing what she needs psychologically and emotionally to grow into a strong, confident young woman. The other day she told me "You're a good Daddy." I asked her why and her responses surprised me somewhat. All of her responses dealt nothing with physical things or objects--they were things I do for her and with her.



I know there is more to the "equation," but I feel that one of the most significant responsibilities you can help develop in your child is a good sense of self-worth. I'm not talking about dreams of grandeur and over-the-top syrupy positive thinking, but a sense of "I'm OK with who I am" type of feelings. It's important to talk positively to your children. Yes, there are times when you need/must be constructive, but you don't need to do it in a mean tone. I'm always dumbfounded when I hear parents calling their children stupid or saying derogatory and insensitive things to them at a store. If they say these things in public, what do they say in private?

Our kids need support and  to know that you believe in them regardless of a specific (or preferred) outcome. Ultimately, I feel how we talk to our children translates into how they talk to themselves. Self-talk is so vital. What we say to ourselves over-and-over burns itself into your brain.

Think about what you say to yourself and to others. They leave a ripple...

(If you have girls, consider Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters. It's a powerful book.)

3 comments:

  1. Matt,
    Happy Birthday to Hadley!!!It takes someone special to be the father of "little girls"! Last year, I went through a difficult time when I faced the first lay~off from employment in my entire life. It was my Dad who encouraged me to seek and gain new employment!!! My concern was the field I was seeking was not my area of expertise. I remember Dad saying, "You can do anything you set your mind to do...You always could." That was all I needed. With his continued confidence in me, I was offered a position, hired and employed until I chose to retire this Summer! You will do the same, perhaps even more, with your daughters. I'm sure!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another book you should consider is the Five Languages of Love series (for you and T) and the Five Love Languages of Children. Seems Hadley's love languages are Quality Time and Acts of Service vs. Gifts, Touch and Affirmation. Everybody is different, and this series gives you a good understanding of why some people don't respond well to some things because their language of love may be different to how you are giving them love. (Hope that makes sense!)....

    Lorne

    ReplyDelete